Representation and Communication - All D.O.s
IOMA is the professional organization for D.O.s in the state of Iowa, looking out for the interests of all physicians licensed as osteopathic physicians. How?
- Assures that the profession is specifically and favorably included in all legislation, rules and regulations of state government.
- Assures that the profession is represented on any boards, commissions, task forces and committees of state government that deal with the practice of medicine.
- Acts as a liaison with other Iowa health care professional organizations. Works with them when it benefits the profession.
- Acts as liaison to the Iowa Departments of Health and Human Services and Public Health, Board of Medical Examiners, Board of Pharmacy Examiners, Department of Inspections and Appeals and any other state agency that regulates or conducts programs within the health care delivery system.
- Intercedes for the profession and individual osteopathic physicians with Medicare and Medicaid carriers on reimbursement or procedure disputes.
- Provides input through a professional legislative counsel under contract to IOMA and by communication with lobbyists of other medical professional associations.
- Maintains direct contact with the Governor and his staff. Keeps him informed regarding issues of concern to the profession.
- Represents the profession at meetings of state agencies and assures that the osteopathic profession's concerns are considered.
- Recommends physicians for many State and non-governmental committees and task forces.
- Endorses disability and business interruption insurance through Paul Revere Companies at a 10% discount.
- Endorses a lease/purchase program for financing office and medical equipment through Bankers Leasing at rates guaranteed to be below banks or other finance companies.
- Publishes directory of all D.O.s in the state with pertinent biographical and geographical information about each.
- Publishes bulletins to inform physicians about issues that could affect their practice.
- Maintains a physician practice opportunity and physician placement referral service.
- Offers up to 30 hours of 1-A CME at the Upper Midwest Osteopathic Health Conference.
- Discounted CME through the Simply CME Series
- Access to hundreds of CME via The CME Center
- Provides opportunities to receive mandatory licensing requirements either through lecture or on-line self-study.
- Maintains communication with the various divisions of the American Osteopathic Association.
- Represents the state on American Osteopathic Association committees and at the AOA house of delegates.
- Makes contacts with Iowa's congressional delegation on issues arising from actions of federal agencies, both directly and through the AOA Washington, DC staff.
- Maintains communication with and provides assistance to the Des Moines University, College of OsteopathicMedicine students through support of student activities and educational programs.
Complete our online application form to apply for membership.