The Voice of D.O.s
Representation and Communication
IOMA is the professional organization for all D.O.s in the state of Iowa. IOMA looks out for the interests of all physicians licensed as osteopathic physicians in a variety of ways:
- Assures that the profession is specifically and favorably included in all legislation, rules and regulations of state government.
- Assures that the profession is represented on any boards, commissions, task forces and committees of state government that deal with the practice of medicine.
- Acts as a liaison with other health care professional associations including the Iowa Hospital Association, Iowa Academy of Family Physicians, Iowa Medical Society, Iowa a Nurses' Association, Iowa Pharmacy Association, Iowa Podiatry Society, Iowa Optometric Association, Iowa Physician Assistants Association, Iowa Society of Physical Therapists, Iowa Dental Association and others. Works with them when it benefits the profession.
- Acts as liaison to the Iowa Departments of Health and Human Services and Public Health, Board of Medicine, Board of Pharmacy, Department of Inspections and Appeals and any other state agency that regulates or conducts programs within the health care delivery system.
- Intercedes for the profession and individual osteopathic physicians with Medicare and Medicaid carriers on reimbursement or procedure disputes.
- Provides input through a professional legislative counsel under contract to IOMA and by communication with lobbyists of other medical professional associations.
- Recommends physicians for many State and non-governmental committees and task forces.
- Offers 26 hours of 1-A CME (also approved for American Academy of Family Practice credit) at the Upper Midwest Osteopathic Health Conference.
- Conducts the Iowa ACFP Mid-Winter Family Practice Conference which offers 20 1-A CME hours.
- Provides information about the mandatory state of Iowa child and adult abuse training through the Iowa Department of Human Services.
- Maintains communication with the various divisions of the American Osteopathic Association.
- Represents the state on American Osteopathic Association committees and at the AOA house of delegates.
- Makes contacts with Iowa's congressional delegation on issues arising from actions of federal agencies, both directly and through the AOA Washington, DC staff.
Join us and let IOMA be your DO voice! Complete a membership application today!