Representation and Communication - All D.O.s
IOMA is the professional organization
for D.O.s in the state of Iowa, looking out for the interests of all
physicians licensed as osteopathic physicians. How?
- Assures that the profession is
specifically and favorably included in all legislation, rules and
regulations of state government.
- Assures that the profession is
represented on any boards, commissions, task forces and committees of
state government that deal with the practice of medicine.
- Acts as a liaison with other health
care professional associations including the Iowa Hospital Association,
Iowa Academy of Family Physicians, Iowa Medical Society, Iowa a Nurses'
Association, Iowa Pharmacists' Association, Iowa Podiatry Society, Iowa
Optometric Association, Iowa Physicians' Assistants Association, Iowa
Society of Physical Therapists, Iowa Dental Association and others.
Works with them when it benefits the profession.
- Acts as liaison to the Iowa
Departments of Health and Human Services and Public Health, Board of
Medical Examiners, Board of Pharmacy Examiners, Department of
Inspections and Appeals and any other state agency that regulates or
conducts programs within the health care delivery system.
- Intercedes for the profession and
individual osteopathic physicians with Medicare and Medicaid carriers
on reimbursement or procedure disputes.
- Provides input through a
professional legislative counsel under contract to IOMA and by
communication with lobbyists of other medical professional
- Maintains direct contact with the Governor and his staff. Keeps him informed regarding issues of concern to the profession.
- Represents the profession at
meetings of the Iowa Foundation for Medical Care Provider Advisory
Committee and assures that the osteopathic profession's concerns are
considered by the IFMC.
- Maintains liaison with Blue
Cross/Blue Shield through regular meetings of the Blue Cross/ Blue
Shield Medical Policy Advisory Committee. Reviews and provides members
with the opportunity to comment on Blue Cross/Blue Shield policies
- Participates as members of the
Medicaid Physician Reimbursement Committee in the review and update of
the Medicaid Physician Fee Schedule.
- Recommends physicians for many State and non-governmental committees and task forces.
- Provides group health and life
insurance through Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Offers health and dental
insurance at competitive rates to members, their families and office
- Provides disability and business
interruption insurance. Offers disability insurance through Paul Revere
Companies at a 10% discount.
- Provides a lease/purchase program
for financing office and medical equipment through Bankers Leasing at
rates guaranteed to be below banks or other finance companies.
Publishes directory of all D.O.s in the state with pertinent biographical and geographical information about each.
- Publishes bulletins to inform physicians about issues that could affect their practice.
- Maintains a physician practice opportunity and physician placement referral service.
- Offers 30 hours of 1-A CME (also
approved for American Academy of Family Practice credit) at the Upper
Midwest Osteopathic Health Conference.
- Conducts the Iowa ACFP Mid-Winter Family Practice Conference which offers 20 1-A CME hours.
- Provides opportunities to receive
mandatory state of Iowa child and adult abuse training either through
lecture or video self-study.
- Maintains communication with the various divisions of the American Osteopathic Association.
- Represents the state on American Osteopathic Association committees and at the AOA house of delegates.
- Makes contacts with Iowa's
congressional delegation on issues arising from actions of federal
agencies, both directly and through the AOA Washington, DC staff.
- Maintains the Health News Network that promotes the osteopathic profession through the news media.
- Maintains communication with and
provides assistance to the University of Osteopathic Medicine and
Health Sciences' students through the annual Iowa student dinner,
support of student activities and educational programs, and direct
intercession on various issues important to the students.
Sound good? Complete our online application form to apply for membership.